Butler, George Patrick

Error message

  • Deprecated function: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in include_once() (line 20 of /home/cdthrer/public_html/dublinmusictrade.ie/includes/file.phar.inc).
  • Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /home/cdthrer/public_html/dublinmusictrade.ie/includes/common.inc).
Dates Active in Dublin: 



11 Ellis Quay, 1870-82
Monument House, O'Connell Bridge / 34 Bachelor’s Walk [same premises], 1882-1911
52 Lower Sackville Street/O’Connell Street, c. 1910-1911 [show room]
[Also: 29 Haymarket, London]


George Patrick Butler likely succeeded the business of his father George Joseph Butler (Staszynski).

Traded under ‘Butler’s Musical Instruments’, ‘G. Butler’, ‘George Butler & Sons’, and ‘G. Butler & Sons’.

The Fermanagh Mail advertisement of 1876 states that Butler's 'Manufactory' was in Haymarket London and the 'Branch Establishment' was at 11 Essex Quay, Dublin. 'G. Butler & Sons, Musical Instrument Manufacturers, 29 Haymarket, London & Dublin' printed on a card of band music [found loose in a copy of Peter Francis's volume of mainly late eighteenth-century music].

Advertised as agents for the principal piano and player piano makers ‘Auto Piano, Kastner, National, Sterling, Malcolm, Electrella, Pianaura, Wallistra’ (Freeman’s Journal, 1910).

On his retirement due to ill health in 1911, he was likely succeeded in business by his son William John Butler (Staszynski).

[Addresses differ according to sources: the Ellis Quay address is given by Waterhouse for George Butler from 1868 to 1882, and the Irish Times in 1878 and 1882. The Monument House address is given by the Flag of Ireland in 1884, The Nation in 1888, the Saturday Herald in 1894, the Irish Times in 1895 and 1899, Freeman’s Journal in 1899 and 1910. An advertisement in the possession of Staszynski (publication unknown) gives notice of removal from Ellis’s Quay to Monument House, O’Connell Bridge in 1882. Waterhouse gives the Bachelor's Walk address from 1882 to 1926. The RTÉ Murtagh Collection in the RTÉ Photographic Archive contains an image of the George Butler & Sons premises at Monument House 34 Bachelor’s Walk c. 1910, indicating that these are the same premises. The Lower Sackville Street address is given in the Freeman’s Journal in 1910]

Select Product/Work List: 


  • Alto flute, c. 1880: sold by Sotheby's on 17 November 1994. Stamp: 'Butler Haymarket London and Dublin' (Waterhouse)
  • 'Butler’s Cornets and Saxhorns, Clarionets, Flutes, and flageolets, Drums, Fifes and Triangles, Violets, Banjoes [sic] and Tambourines, Concertinas, English and German, Harmoniums and Musical Instruments of every description', 1876 (Fermanagh Mail)
  • ‘Butler’s Musical Instruments. Violins, Violoncellos, Banjoes, Harmoniums, Pianos, Cornets, Band Instruments, Musical Boxes, Flutes, Concertinas, Drums, Melodeons &c. &c. [...] Butler’s Melodeons: Largest Assortment in the Kingdom, with Bell and Stop.’ (Flag of Ireland)
  • Sold

  • ‘Gramophones, Special Records, Musical Boxes, or Aristons, with tune discs, large or small; Violins, Mandolines, Banjos, Guitars, Melodeons, Concertinas, etc etc.‘ (Freeman’s Journal, 21 August 1899)
  • ‘Pianos and Player Pianos, New and Second-Hand. Agents for the Principal Makers: Auto Piano, Kastner, National, Sterling, Malcolm, Electrelle, Pianaura [?], Wallistra’(Freeman’s Journal, 25 November 1910)
  • Source(s): 

    Last Update: 08-08-2021