Error message

  • Deprecated function: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in include_once() (line 20 of /home/cdthrer/public_html/
  • Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /home/cdthrer/public_html/
Dates Active in Dublin: 

1750? 1768?


Carolan (2017) states that Egan of Dublin was 'making pipes both of ivory and of wood tipped with ivory, and sometimes adding a single regulator to his instruments' by the 1760s.

Stamp: 'EGAN' (Carolan, 2017)

Carolan (2017) states that there were potentially a family of Egan pipemakers in Dublin, citing Rev. Dr Richard Henebry who wrote that he had 'an old set made by one of the Egans of Dublin, about the year 1750, or perhaps earlier'. He further states that 'Egan of Dublin' is not the son of John Egan.

Select Product/Work List: 


  • 'an old wood and brass set, with a single four-key regulator and three drones', restored by Peter Hunter. Stamp: 'EGAN' (on the wood of the stock) (Carolan, 2017)
  • The Lord Edward Fitzgerald pipes - 'three-drone, single-regulator, ivory and silver set of Irish bellows pipes', 1768: National Museum of Ireland. Stamp: 'EGAN (on the ivory stock of
    the pipes) (Carolan, 2017)
  • 'a wood and brass set of pipes' [donated by the Rev. Dr Richard Henebry of Waterford]: National Museum of Ireland. Stamp: 'EGAN' (on the wood of the stock) (Carolan, 2017)
  • Union pipes: National Museum of Ireland [three in total] (Gogan)
  • 'a wood and brass set' [formerly in the possession of piper Mark Walstrom]. Stamp: 'EGAN' (on the keyless chanter), 'KEEGAN' (on the stock) and 'EGAN' (on a separate chanter) (Carolan, 2017)
  • 'a very handsome pair of Irish Bag-pipes, by the real old Egan in Dublin, made for a nobleman deceased’ [most likely owned by 'Player on the Irish Pipes', John Murphy] (Carolan 2017 citing The Morning Post and Daily Advertiser, 20 September 1779)
  • 'Set of Bagpipes, made by Eagan, tipped with Ivory' [formerly owned by Dr or William Bolton, 6 Bishop Street, Dublin] (Carolan 2017 citing Saunder’s News-Letter, 20 December 1779)
  • See Also: 

    Last Update: 16-03-2018