McNeill, John (ii)

Dates Active in Dublin: 

1834–2004

Address(es): 

148 1/2 Capel Street, [1834?] 1836–45
140 Capel Street, 1845–2004

Details: 

Settled in Dublin from Scotland in 1834 (Boydell).

Apprenticed to Isaac Dollard (Waterhouse).

The business continued after John's death at 140 Capel Street. John McNeill's widow died c. 1968. In 1990, the business was taken over by Stephen Chambers and in 2004 it was relocated to Miltown Malbay, Co. Clare (McNeill's Music Shop).

Mark: '(unicorn head) / McNEILL / DUBLIN / (address)' (Waterhouse).

Select Product/Work List: 

Invented (as listed in Waterhouse)

  • ‘Cambridge cavalry field-trumpet bugle’, 1851
  • 'Bulb cornopean’, 1851
  • Produced

  • 'A type of duplex BI [brass instrument] combining ‘un bugle contralto, un cornet à pistons et une trompette’, 1851 (Pentécoulant, cited in Waterhouse)
  • Produced or Sold (as listed in the Dublin International Exhibition of 1865)

  • Cornet with detached bell, 1865
  • Cornet with improved air passages, 1865
  • Flugel-horn in B flat, 1865
  • Tenor horn in E flat, 1865
  • See Also: 

    Last Update: 26-09-2013